TRAINING: Preliminary Fall Fire Training Schedule has been posted to www.erie.gov/fire – 27 new courses added
The training schedule has been updated at www.erie.gov/fire to reflect these new course announcements. As always, more courses will be added throughout the fall and winter training seasons. Do not hesitate to continue to submit course requests via the standard form at any time. This helps us leverage more state fire training hours for your benefit.
NEW COURSE ANNOUNCEMENTS:
Twenty-seven (27) new courses have been announced, including three (3) Firefighter 1 courses:
- 1S13007 – Hosted by Cleveland Hill for the Cheektowaga area is full and the mandatory orientation was held yesterday 8/7/13.
- 1S13008 – Hosted by Akron for the Akron/Newstead area will be held on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. The mandatory orientation for prospective students and their chiefs/officers is Wednesday-8/21/13.
- 1S13009 – Hosted by Lake Shore for the Hamburg area will be held on double-session (2x) Sundays starting at 9am, with the exception of the first two classes on Wednesday-9/4/13 and Thursday-9/5/13. The mandatory orientation for prospective students and their chiefs/officers is Monday-8/12/13.
- 1S13006 – Firefighter 1 Fall Boot Camp still has limited openings. Apply now. The mandatory orientation for prospective students and their chiefs/officers is Wednesday-8/28/13.
Two (2) day-shift courses are offered this fall:
- 0313001 – Fire Behavior & Arson Awareness from 11am-2pm on Thursdays & Tuesdays starting 9/12/13 at Akron.
- 1Y13003 – Apparatus Operator-Emergency Vehicles from 9am-12pm on Tuesdays & Thursdays starting 9/12/13 at South Line Station#1.
Please read all of the notes below and on the training schedule, download the appropriate documents and share them with your recruits. Start submitting standard training course applications and NYS OFPC training authorization forms immediately.
APPLYING FOR TRAINING COURSES:
Please download the current version of the Standard Training Course Application (see below) and destroy all old copies. Course hosts have one week after the schedule is published to submit their course applications after which time, applications will be accepted on a first-come-first-serve basis.
A completed and signed NYS OFPC Training Authorization Form should accompany all applications for hands-on courses.
Individual course registration confirmations are no longer faxed out to students. Rosters are posted as student registrations are compiled for the particular class, and only after the minimum number of registrations have been received. Rosters are updated periodically as registrations are received, as a course is full, or as the registration deadline has passed. Rosters for each course are posted to: http://www.erie.gov/depts/community/emergency_fsd_resources.asp#urgent_alerts
TRAINING SCHEDULE FORMATTING:
Please note that a new column has been added to the training schedule to indicate the status of a course.
- N=New Course Announcement since last update
- O=Open-Accepting Applications
- F=Full-No longer accepting applications-All Confirmed and Alternate spots have been filled
- A=Accepting Applications for Alternate Spots Only
- R=Course at Risk of Not Running if 10 applications are not received by posted deadline
- C=Information Changed since last update
- P=Course In Progress
PLEASE PRIORITIZE APPLICATIONS – As most Firefighter 1 courses fill up quickly, Chiefs and Training Officers submitting applications for multiple recruits for the same class should assign a priority number to each applicant. This number (with 1 being the highest priority candidate) can be written in the lower right hand corner of each application before it is sent in.
Ex. – [Joe, Chelsea, Corey, Courtney and Josh all want to attend the same Firefighter 1 at Hamburg] – If you submit these five (5) different student applications for the same course location, indicate the priority of each student to attend should seats be limited, from 1-5 on the application. Whether or not each applicant is designated as a confirmed, alternate or declined student will be determined by the total number of applications received for that course, and the priority ranking you provide.
Those attending Firefighter 1 courses should note the date of the mandatory orientation for each course offered – which must be attended by the student, accompanied by a chief or training officer.
The Delmar Firefighter’s Handbook on Essentials of Firefighting and Emergency Response-NY Third Edition are required at the first class and are available through the Fire Safety Office at a cost of $95 each.
Students confirmed as attending Firefighter 1 courses should download, review, and share the Student Packet with their officers prior to attending orientation. http://www.erie.gov/depts/community/fsd_resources/Firefighter%201%20Student%20Packet.pdf
Be sure to include your e-mail address and cell or other phone number on your application to ensure effective communications as the roster is posted and important course information must be distributed.
APPARATUS OPERATOR COURSES:
Those students registering for an 78-Apparatus Operator-Pump or 79-Apparatus Operator-Aerial Devices should note that pre-requisites include 1Y-Apparatus Operator-EVOC and and at least 1R-Scene Support Operations. An explanation of these pre-requisites is included below.
Students attending 1Y-Apparatus Operator-EVOC courses must bring their own apparatus to the hands-on portion of the class. This is a class for operating Emergency Vehicles under emergency conditions and is not a driving class. Students should already be familiar with the operation of the apparatus they are driving in the course.
Please be sure to have all firefighters and first responders subscribe to “The Training Ground” eNewsletter to receive advance notice of training opportunities and connect with us via www.erie.gov/fire, on our Facebook page at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Erie-County-Emergency-Services/109499386703, and via our Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/ErieCtyFire
Download: Firefighter 1 Student Packet-090805
Download: NYS OFPC Training Authorization Form
Download, Print and Post our Web Poster to encourage all firefighters to sign up to receive advance notice of training and other opportunities!